Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Home

The sweetest word in the English language. Home. Love is the greatest, Home, is delicious. Even just the idea of Home warms the heart. The place all of us wish to return. Not a place really. Or a space. It’s much, much more than that. To me anyway. I’ve been blessed with many homes. Half a century of homes. Some better than others along the way, but there has always been one for me. That true North. An anchor. A refuge. The end to every journey. A place of rest. The soft place to land. Where you can scratch where it itches (total DDDism).

As I am currently away from home on business, again, I long to be there. Sick to be there. Truly homesick. 

What makes a home? Love. It’s where your love is. It’s where you long to be. It’s the one place in the world that transcends it’s reality, time, space and circumstance. When it’s no longer there It exists in your heart, mind and Soul until it is once again replaced anew. 

The first time I was unmoored from my home was in the 3rd grade. We moved from Cleveland to Maryland. A magnificent house above the Potomac River in a magically beautiful area in a neighborhood full of other children and adventure. It would take quite some time, however, before it would become a home. My eldest sister stayed back in Ohio to finish her Senior year of high. My other sister was so sick with leukemia and my father started a really big job. We also bought another house at the beach and even got a boat! It was quite a year. Shortly after that first summer in Ocean City Karen died. Carol moved off to college and then Bootsie died. There were times there that my big brother and I curse the day we left our home in Richmond Hights. Hard to believe the privilege of living in Potomac, Maryland paled to the little Home we left behind in Cleveland. But we had each other and Mom and Dad and Carol and Pepi! 7100 Masters Drive. The Home I grew up in became a wonderful home. While in high school my parents moved into Bethesda to down size. Hard to believe a house on Tulip Hill of Mass Ave was a downsize. Blows my mind actually, but they kept me in the Whitman school district and life moved on. When I went away to college my parents kinda became homeless. They lived in the basement with all their furniture and stuff in the garage oh my mom’s childhood best friend, Peggy’s house. They eventually got a town house in Rockville before settling down permanently in the beach house.


No comments:

Post a Comment