Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Wood Box Speaks!


Thanks dad. I knew you didn't care about me messing up the facts. This wood box freaks me out a little bit. He's in there. He speaks to me. I heard the other day that a legacy is not what someone leaves you, but what they leave inside you. It's true. My dad was in financial dire straits in the end. But as far as legacies go I now realize he's left me a fortune. Starting this blog, posting scraps of wood box wisdom, researching his years at Maryland, posting dumbdumbdaddyoism, becoming dumb dumb daddy - YO, posting about my family, it all has made me appreciate what he left inside me. He's there. He always has been I just never listened.

This last picture of him I discovered from all the pages of Maryland yearbook pictures. It's unusual. It's opening day at Byrd Stadium, it's his Junior year and he's in the dog house with his coach, but it looks like he was second on the field that day.

He's #44

They went on to beat Navy in the fist game in their new stadium that my father helped build the summer before. He also helped build the Maryland Chapel where my parents were married. This must have been some day.




Before:


1949 I don't know what the old field was called. It also looks like the Maryland Terrapins were also known as the Old Liners, I'd never heard that before.

No comments:

Post a Comment