Sunday, June 9, 2013

Why

Why is the critical question. My dad used to tell me, "If you don't know why don't do it." Another one of his many sayings I never really got. Why do you have to have a reason to do everything? I guess now I get it, sort of. My wife just asked what am I blogging about and I told her I don't know. But I think I do know why I am doing it. Why do I post in DDD, because it brings me closer to my father.

I wish he were here now. Eight years he's been gone and still I wonder what he'd say or what he thinks I should do. Of course he is in my heart and in my head but that is not the same. He would never tell me what to do. Mostly he would say do what is right. Most of the times he would say if I haven't taught you the difference between right and wrong by now you'll never learn. Guess I'm still learning.

He once told me, "If you don't like what you are doing then do something else." I think it was when I was complaining about my first real sales job. He went on to explain that he didn't mean give up, but try and do it differently. He said, "The surest way to make something permanent is to give up. The surest way to succeed was to try again." He had a way of making the profound profoundly simple. I went back to that job and instead of going out in the field to make sales I went out to make friends. Things turned out pretty well.

I hope to start posting a little more regularly because I really could use his advice right now. The start up business I was hired to save just went out of business. So I find myself unemployed for the second time this year. If it was just me no problem, but I'm a dumb dumb daddyo now. My family is counting on me and lately I've been kind of down to say the least. He'd probably say something to make me smile and then say something like feeling sorry for yourself is not the solution. He was never shy about saying what had to be said.

So there it is...thanks DDD.

No comments:

Post a Comment