Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Dad was Las Vegas


Great night out in Las Vegas!

It was "his town!" Convention Capitol of the World. My Dad loved Las Vegas. He used to tell me a story about playing single deck 21 one night and non other than Elvis Presley came up and sat right next to him. He said within minutes the table was surrounded five or six people deep and Elvis apologized for attracting such a crowd and asked everyone at the table if it would be all right if he stayed and played a while. It was only then that he realized who he was and noticed the scene that was developing around them. Just a couple of southern boys playing 21 and sticking it to the house. He said they talked about the war and that Elvis asked him how he was from Alabama but talked like a Yankee. My Dad always made a point to say even Elvis had the good sense to stick to the two dollar tables. It's hard not to like a guy who calls book on every hand in single deck 21 and rejoices over his neighbors victories.

My Dad taught me how to play. I never saw him loose and most times I would get to play all night with his winnings. He said it was easy to count into a single deck. Easy for him maybe.

I didn't do so well this go around and heard him say, "You pay to play not to get rich." and "Loosing is no fun at all so when your loosing walk away so you can play another day."

Suzy and I went to the Reve, cruised the shops and finished the night with some dueling pianists. Most fun I've had in a while. I guess it's my town now.









No comments:

Post a Comment